Jumbo Chocolate Chip Muffins
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Jumbo Chocolate Chip Muffins are moist, fluffy and packed with chocolate chips! They’re also a great excuse to eat chocolate for breakfast!
One of the most disappointing feelings is biting into a chocolate chip muffin with like five pieces of chocolate it. That’s why these muffins have tons of chocolate chips in every bite! I always like to make all my muffins jumbo sized because when it comes to muffins the bigger the better but you can easily make these in a standard size muffin pan.
All-purpose flour – this gives the muffins structure.
Baking powder – necessary to make the muffins rise.
Granulated & brown sugar – sweetens and tenderizes muffins. Either light or dark brown sugar will work.
Buttermilk – adds flavor, moisture and makes muffins super fluffy.
Butter – melted butter adds both flavor and moisture! I always recommend using unsalted butter but salted butter works if that’s all you have on hand, just be sure to omit the 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
Eggs – helps bind the ingredients.
Vanilla extract and salt – enhances flavor. Always use pure vanilla extract instead of imitation for best flavor.
How To Make Jumbo Chocolate Chip Muffins
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the melted butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla and buttermilk until smooth and well combined.
3. Fold dry ingredients into the wets until almost combined, leaving a few streaks of flour. The batter will be thick!
4. Gently fold chocolate chips into the batter until just combined. Do not over mix!
5. Evenly divide batter between muffin cups. If desired sprinkle with raw sugar and extra chocolate chips.
Pro Tips For jumbo Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Weigh your ingredients using a kitchen scale! Measuring ingredients by volume is not accurate; baking is a science after all!
- Don’t over mix your batter! This will cause too much gluten development and nobody likes rubbery muffins so leave a few streaks of flour before adding the chocolate chips.
- Sprinkle raw sugar on top to get that signature crunchy muffin top. You could also use sparkling sugar.
- Fill your muffin cups 2/3 of the way full to get tall muffin tops. For a jumbo muffin pan I like to do 3 scoops of batter per muffin cup using this cookie scoop.
My Favorite Muffin Tools
- Kitchen scale I love this scale, I’ve been using it for years!
- Jumbo Muffin Pans
- Jumbo Muffin Liners
- Cookie Scoop
If you try this recipe then please leave a rating/comment below to let me know how you liked it and feel free to ask any recipe questions you may have! 🙂
Jumbo Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 Jumbo Muffin Pan
- 250 g (2 cups + 1 tbsp) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 113 g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 150 g (3/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 50 g (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 240 g (1 cup) buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 112 g (1/2 cup) mini chocolate chips
- 170 g (1 cup) chocolate chips
- extra chocolate chips for topping optional
- raw sugar for topping optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a 6 count jumbo muffin pan muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk the melted butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wets and fold together leaving a few streaks of flour. The batter will be thick!
- Gently fold chocolate chips into the batter until just combined.
- Divide the batter between muffin cups. Sprinkle with raw sugar and press a few extra chocolate chips on top of each muffin (optional). Bake muffins for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Weigh your ingredients using a kitchen scale! Measuring ingredients by volume is not accurate.
- Standard size muffins: You can use a standard size muffin pan for this recipe just decrease the baking time. Yields 12 standard muffins.
- Butter: I recommend using unsalted butter. You can use salted butter, just be sure to omit the 1/2 tsp salt.
- Store Jumbo Chocolate Chip Muffins in an airtight container for up to 5 days at room temperature.